The Victorian Inspectorate (VI) was established by the Victorian Inspectorate Act 2011 (VI Act). The VI commenced operations on 10 February 2013.
The objectives of the VI Act are to:
- enhance the compliance of the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) and IBAC personnel with the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission Act 2011 (IBAC Act) and other laws
- assist in improving the capacity of IBAC and IBAC personnel with regards to their duties, functions and powers
- monitor compliance by a Public Interest Monitor with the prescribed obligations
- provide for the independent oversight of Victorian Auditor-General’s Office (VAGO) officers
- provide for the independent oversight of Victorian Ombudsman officers, Chief Examiner and Examiners, and Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner (OVIC) officers
- monitor the use of coercive powers under the Judicial Commission of Victoria Act 2016.